As the demand for great talent grows, it’s increasingly clear that skills and knowledge are precious commodities. Many professions have a credentialing process but, just because a credential exists doesn’t always mean the reasons for obtaining that credential are obvious.
Within the human resources field, there has been a greater emphasis on certifications and graduate degrees. Today, it’s a widely accepted belief that obtaining advanced skills and knowledge positions a professional for greater success.
HR certifications have had a long history in this field, but what is the real value and how will the accrediting body help better position you for success?
So, lets start first with SHRM – the largest credentialing organization. The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest HR professional society, representing 285,000 members in more than 165 countries.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the leading voice of the human resources profession and is the largest human resource management association in the world.
For nearly seven decades, the Society has been the leading provider of resources serving the needs of HR professionals and advancing the practice of human resource management. SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the United States and subsidiary offices in China, India and United Arab Emirates.
According to SHRM, the value in earning your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP credential makes you a recognized leader in HR; an expert —and a valuable asset to your organization, keeping you and your organization more competitive in today’s economy.
They claim that this professional distinction will set you apart from your colleagues, proving you a higher level of knowledge and skills and a competitive edge.
How does SHRM claim they can help you be a recognized leader in HR when you become the goto expert.:
THEY FOCUS ON YOU
SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP are your credentials, based on the current HR landscape. This certification is 100% focused on the competencies and knowledge all HR professionals need to lead in today’s business community.
PROVIDE YOU UNIVERSAL SKILLS & RECOGNITION
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) are based on one single, comprehensive SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™) and are relevant worldwide, giving professionals the recognition and flexibility to use their knowledge, skills and competencies anywhere their career takes them.
FOCUS ON YOUR COMPETENCY & ARE KNOWLEDGE- BASED
SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP tests HR competencies as well as knowledge, and their application, to ensure the professional’s ability to demonstrate what they know, and what they can do with their knowledge in the variety of situations they encounter.
THEY HAVE DEVELOPED FOCUS WITH EMPLOYERS IN MIND
SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP are based on in-depth research focused on —and backed by— global employers and business leaders. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
EXPANDED ELIGIBILITY AND INCLUSIVITY
SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recognize diversity in the HR profession. The eligibility requirements minimize barriers to participation and reflect current HR. The exam windows provide accessibility and flexibility for all eligible professionals worldwide. In addition, the new exam is affordable, making certification attainable by more professionals.
IT’S UNIVERSALLY APPLICABLE
SHRM believes that HR certification must be as inclusive and diverse as the profession itself. The SHRM certification is applicable across industries, geographic borders, job responsibilities and career levels.
AND YOUR GLOBALLY RECOGNIZED
By creating a consistent certification path for HR professionals around the world, SHRM will deliver a new global standard. To ensure worldwide recognition of the new certification, SHRM has begun the process to obtain accreditation of the certification program according to standards for educational and psychological testing defined by the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association, and the National Council on Measurement and Education.
Now lets talk more about the SHRM certification and how it will help you be a recognized leader in HR:
- SHRM has always focused on making sure HR practitioners are seeking and attaining certification.
- We are committed to ensuring that the certification our members achieve is recognized as best in class and distinguishes them in the marketplace.
- This certification is the culmination of over three years of research, and based on the SHRM Competency Model, which was validated by more than 35,000 HR professionals around the world. These HR professionals identified the skills needed to grow and succeed in HR careers.
- Studies were conducted with four major corporations and four major research universities, including Walmart, Boeing, Michigan State University, Pennsylvania State University, Lusiada University (Lisbon, Portugal), and University of North Carolina-Charlotte.
- The SHRM Certification preparation program will include:
- the new global Body of Competency and Knowledge (SHRM BoCK);
- a comprehensive exam; and
- the world-class instructional materials and certification preparation tools you have come to expect from SHRM.
- SHRM understands the time and energy you’ve invested in obtaining your existent credentials and our goal is to make earning the new SHRM Certification as simple as is reasonably possible to ensure your continued success.
- If you are currently certified, you will not lose or have to give up any of your current credentials in order to obtain the new SHRM Certification.
- However, we do believe the new SHRM Certification will become the new standard for HR professionals around the globe, as it is among the first HR certifications that is focused on teaching and testing the practical, real-life information HR professionals need to excel in their careers today, including knowledge, skills and competencies.
Because the HR profession is constantly changing and evolving, it is important for certified professionals to continually update their HR competencies and knowledge. Achieving certification as a SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) is the first step.
Recertification is achieved when SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credential holders engage in continued ongoing learning and professional development activities that relate to the Behavioral Competencies and Functional Areas of Knowledge identified in the SHRM BoCK. To re-certify and maintain your credential, you must earn 60 professional development credits (PDCs) every three years, or retake the certification exam.
At XTRAcredits, we have world-leading subject matter experts who have curriculum’s designed and accredited for all your professional developments needs. Courses are approved and offered on-demand. We recognize that you require a catalogue of approved courses that are self-paced, tailored to offer your CPD on your time, anytime and even in your pj’s. Whether you have 5 minutes or 3 hours, our faculty of experts are standing by to help. After all, you might need access to hours of pre-approved training right before your PDC deadline.
————- You are invited, join our XTRAcredits LinkedIn Group —————–
XTRAcredits is the yellow pages for everything and anything continuing professional development credit related. XTRAcredits.com offers approved on-demand online courses and continuing education credits when you need them, anytime and from anywhere.
More About SHRM.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) serves the global HR professional by providing resources, global best practices and professional connections to almost 10,000 members in over 165 countries as well as U.S. based HR professionals involved in global human resource management. In addition, SHRM has Member Forums throughout the world to encourage local activities and networking among members. SHRM is committed to the advancement of HR globally, having established offices in China, India and United Arab Emirates and a network of worldwide partners that provide SHRM certification training and seminars.
SHRM is an active member and serves as the Secretariat for the Board of Directors for both the World Federation of People Management Associations (WFPMA) and the North American Human Resource Management Association (NAHRMA).
(XTRAcredits is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP)